Welcome To Class 4!
Class 4 is taught by Miss Hayward. We are extremely lucky to be joined by Mrs Reid and Miss Mulligan throughout the week, and Mrs McGregor every Friday. Class 4 is made up of children from both Year 4 and Year 5.
What Will We Be Learning?
Topic - Our History topic this term focuses on the Stone Age! We will be learning about the food, technology, homes, art and everyday life of the people who lived in this era and beyond. Our topic focus will inspire our work across the curriculum, from art to music to writing.
English - Our class novel this term is Little Badman and the Invasion Of The Killer Aunties. We will be exploring this text during our Reading lessons, alongside a range of other shorter texts. We will also be reading Stig of the Dump and using this novel to inspire us during our Writing lessons.
Maths - This half term, we will be exploring: place value, addition & subtraction, time, and position & direction. We will be continuing to develop our times tables knowledge every week by using TT Rockstars. We will also do Rapid Recall Facts twice a week to help us develop our maths fluency skills.
Science - Our focus for the first half term will be forces. We will be exploring the forces we encounter in everyday life, and investigating how magnets work. After half term, we will be learning about light.
PE - Class 4 do PE every Wednesday afternoon. Children do not need to bring in a PE kit this term. Instead, children need to come to school in their PE kit and wear it all day, ready for the afternoon. This half term, we will be doing hockey and circuit skills.
Things You Need To Know:
- What To Bring: children should bring a water bottle and coat with them every day. This term, children do not need to bring book bags/rucksacks with them each day.
- Spellings: Class 4 will do a spelling test every Friday. A list of each week’s spellings has been emailed to parents, uploaded on the Class 4 page, and stuck into children’s Brainbuilder books.
- Brainbuilders: children will bring their Brainbuilder books home with them at the start of each half term. There will be a menu of Brainbuilder tasks for the children to choose from and complete each week. These tasks can be completed in their Brainbuilder books and/or emailed to Miss Hayward using the Class 4 email address. Please do not bring Brainbuilder books in every week. Instead, please return them to Miss Hayward during the final week of half term.
- Reading Books: Class 4 will continue to use the Accelerated Reader Scheme. This term, we are using the scheme to pick 2 books at a time: a school reading book and a home reading book. The school reading book will stay in our classroom, whereas the home reading book can be taken away and read at home. When children finish their home reading book, they should bring it back to school on a Friday and leave it in the plastic box outside the classroom. Children will then do a quiz as normal before picking a new home reading book.
- Online Sites: Class 4 have online access to both TT Rockstars and Reading Plus. TT Rockstars is a website that helps us develop our times tables knowledge. There are opportunities to practice independently and compete against our friends. Reading Plus is a website that helps us develop our fluency, comprehension and speed in reading. The website has a range of non-fiction texts for us to read then complete quizzes on. There are also challenges to help develop our vocabulary and reading speed.
We hope that the above information is useful. If you have any further questions, please feel free to get in touch via the office or the Class 4 email.
Class 4 are a fabulous group of children and we are very excited for the year to come!