Welcome to Class Two!
We have both Year One and Reception children in our class. Our class teacher is Miss Richardson, who is also the Early Years Foundation Stage and Key Stage One Lead teacher. We are very fortunate to be supported by our wonderful assistants Mrs Askew, who is in class during in the morning, and Mrs Green, who helps us in the afternoon.
Each half term we have a main topic that is the focus of our activities. From this central theme we plan a range of activities that cover the areas of learning in EYFS and that meet the National Curriculum requirements for children in Year One. We always incorporate the children’s particular interests and enthusiasms into our planning as we go! Learning in Reception and Year One occurs through practical activities with continued free-flow access to the indoor and outdoor continuous provision being an important part of our school day. This half term our main topic is titled ‘Visitors from Planet Zoog!’
English & Phonics- Our learning this half term will mainly be inspired by stories, poems and rhymes related to Space. Inspired by the story 'Aliens Love Underpants,' we will start to use adjectives to describe the main characters and create our own stories. Phonics happens everyday and is a fast paced, active session! Children have the opportunity to read and write everyday.
Maths – We will be developing our knowledge of number this half term. There will be lots of opportunity for counting accurately, ordering amounts and solving addition and subtraction problems. We will also start skip counting in steps of 2, 5 and 10 and solving related problems.
Science– Year One and Two children join together on Wednesday afternoons for their Science lessons. We will investigate different materials this term, from magnetic materials to absorbant materials and we will take part in many investigations.
Reception children will take part in Welly Wednesday, where they join with Nursery to explore our wildlife garden! From creating fires to toast marshmallows to building dens and shelters, they will be very busy.
Understanding the World - We will be studying maps this half term, from the continents of the world to local maps of Bentham. We will also explore the different shops in Bentham and the services they offer,
Expressive Art & Design - We will be creating scultpures this half term made from a range of different materials, including junk modelling to tin foil!
PE- Our PE sessions this half term are on a Thursday and Friday. Your child will need both their indoor and outdoor PE kit in school (shorts, t-shirt, pumps and trainers, jogging bottoms and jacket). We will be developing our gymnastic skills this week. We will be balancing on beams, creating shapes with our bodies and learning to do different rolls.
What do I need to bring to school with me?
- Outdoor learning - In Class Two, we go outside whatever the weather! Please ensure your child has a warm and waterproof coat in school everyday!
- Book Bag - Please bring your book bag into school everyday. Any important letters will be sent home in here, along with any beautiful artwork created!
- Waterbottle - Although we do have water fountains in school, your child is more than welcome to bring a named water bottle with them to keep in the classroom.
- Reading Books & Records - Just like children would in a library, once they have read their reading book several times at home, they can bring it back into school and change it independently. The books are colour banded, with each colour denoting an increase in difficulty. I must stress the importance and benefits for children when they re-read the same book several times. It builds reading fluency, confidence and allows for greater comprehension.
- Brainbuilder Homework Book - There are always several different choices to choose from but all are connected to a piece of learning carried out in school that week. They are often talk based and practical activities. The homework book is sent home each Friday and should be returned by the following Friday. The children will get time each week to present their learning and share it with their friends!
What a busy half-term we have ahead of us! Please keep checking this page for new information and photos of our learning journey.