Welcome to Class Two!
We have both Year One and Reception children in our class. Our class teacher is Miss Richardson, who is also the Early Years Foundation Stage and Key Stage One Lead teacher. We are very fortunate to be supported by our wonderful assistants Mrs Askew and Mrs Nelson.
Each half term we have a main topic that is the focus of our activities. From this central theme we plan a range of activities that cover the areas of learning in EYFS and that meet the National Curriculum requirements for children in Year One. We always incorporate the children’s particular interests and enthusiasms into our planning as we go! Learning in Reception and Year One occurs through practical activities with continued free-flow access to the indoor and outdoor continuous provision being an important part of our school day. All our activities and adventures are underpinned by the Characteristics of Effective Learning. Our aim is to develop childrens' indepedence, curiosity and resilience.This half term our main topic is titled ‘Shining Bright'.
English & Phonics- Our learning this half term will mainly be inspired by stories, poems and rhymes. We will begin by exploring rhyming stories such as Room on the Broom and poems linked to Halloween and bonfire night before moving on to study the features of a formal letter! There will be lots of opportunities to develop our reading and writing skills every day. Phonics happens everyday and is a fast paced, active session.
Maths – will be taught every day in either whole class or small group activities. We will be doing lots of accurate counting and some children will go on to explore how many tens and units are in each number. In the outside classroom we will explore capacity using fireman’s buckets! We will continue to develop our verbal reasoning this half term, ensuring we can prove and explain our understanding.
Science– We will be learning about animals this half term and grouping them according to their features. Are they nocturnal? Are they a carnivore? Are they warm blooded?
Understanding the World - We will be learning about The Great Fire of London this half term. From Tudor Houses to Samuel Pepys diaries, we will be comparing how life has changed since 1666.
Expressive Art & Design - Our focus this half term will be upon creating moving pictures, using either a Lever or a Slider.
PE- Our PE sessions this half term are on a Tuesday and Wednesday. Your child will need both their indoor and outdoor PE kit in school (shorts, t-shirt, pumps and jogging bottoms and jacket). As the weather turns colder, your child will need a warm fleece. Please make sure your child has trainers with them. We will be developing our throwing and catching skills this half term.
What do I need to bring to school with me?
- Outdoor learning - In Class Two, we go outside whatever the weather! As the weather turns colder and wetter please make sure your child brings a warm and waterproof coat to school with them.
- Book Bag - Please bring your book bag into school everyday. Any important letters will be sent home in here, along with any beautiful artwork created!
- Waterbottle - Although we do have water fountains in school, your child is more than welcome to bring a named water bottle with them to keep in the classroom.
- Reading Books & Records - Just like children would in a library, once they have read their reading book several times at home, they can bring it back into school and change it independently. The books are colour banded, with each colour denoting an increase in difficulty. I must stress the importance and benefits for children when they re-read the same book several times. It builds reading fluency, confidence and allows for greater comprehension.
- Brainbuilder Homework Book - There are always several different choices to choose from but all are connected to a piece of learning carried out in school that week. They are often talk based and practical activities. The homework book is sent home each Friday and should be returned by the following Friday. The children will get time each week to present their learning and share it with their friends!
What a busy first half-term we have ahead of us! Please keep checking this page regularly for new information and photos of our learning journey.
If you would like to share your child's home adventures and learning with us, please use the school email address to share photos or the Wow Moment slips in the classroom.