We are very proud of our school curriculum at Bentham CP School. It has been re-designed to take account of the new National Curriculum (September 2014) and the Early Years 2012 framework in Nursery and Reception, as well as including aspects that are special and unique to our school and community.
Our school curriculum is planned to meet the statutory requirements of the Early Years Framework and the National Curriculum. At the bottom of the page are links to these documents.
Further documents below provide detail on the curriculum being taught in EYFS and Year 1 (Class 1 and 2) and in Year 2 and Key Stage 2 (Class 3, 4 and 5). In addition to this, please visit our class pages where teachers will post up to date information for parents explaining what will be taught during the half-term in each subject, including how parents can support their child in learning.
Please speak to your child's class teacher if you have any further questions or if you don't have a child in school but want to know more, please contact the school office.
At Bentham Community Primary School we strive to enjoy our learning and make it as much fun and as meaningful and relevant as possible. We offer children an excellent education in a safe, inclusive and stimulating environment. Every child is valued as an individual; we aim to nurture well rounded, respectful and confident children who will develop skills for life-long learning. We nurture our children on their journey and encourage them to be creative, unique, open-minded and independent individuals, respectful of themselves and of others in our school, our local community and the wider world. We take our responsibility to prepare children for life in modern Britain very seriously and ensure that the fundamental British Values are introduced, discussed and lived out through the ethos and work of our school.
Please see Preparing Children for Life in Modern Britain for more information about this.
Our curriculum promotes respect for the views of each individual child, as well as for people of all cultures. We value the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of each person, as well as their intellectual and physical growth. We organise our curriculum so that we promote co-operation and understanding between all members of our community. We are fortunate at Bentham CP School to have a spacious learning environment. This is respected and used by all in school and we aim, through our curriculum, to teach respect for our world, and how we should care for it for future generations, as well as our own.
At Bentham CP School our values permeate all areas of school life.
At Bentham Community Primary School, we aim to offer a balanced and broad based curriculum which enables all pupils to:
- Enjoy learning
- Feel successful in their learning and to promote high self esteem
- Become creative, independent learners
- Be given significant time to learn new skills and have time to practise those skills
- Have the flexibility to decide how best to learn in different situations
- Have the flexibility to decide what they are going to learn and how
- Be given the opportunity to decide upon the final outcome of their learning
- Be able to set own targets for learning
- Know what their strengths are and which areas they need to develop
- Become successful lifelong learners who are able to reach their full potential
- Be able to evaluate and assess their own learning
- Develop their critical thinking
- Understand and value the importance of truth, fairness, right and wrong
- Nurture positive relationships promoting working co-operatively with one another
- Help children understand Britain’s cultural heritage
- Explore their spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development.
- Learn and practise the basic skills of English, Mathematics and Computing
- Makes learning more meaningful by putting it into context
- Challenge themselves and engage themselves in deeper learning